Meet Alex, The Yogify Guru
My name is Alex Mazerolle and I am a Vancouver-based yoga instructor. I started practicing yoga at the age of 20 and became a teacher soon after that. I came to yoga after suffering an injury as a dancer and haven’t looked back since. I am passionate about yoga's ability to heal our bodies, to free our minds and connect us to our hearts. I have trained in various styles and methods throughout the years, starting as a Hatha teacher and quickly moving into the dynamic practices of Power and Flow Yoga. My teaching style is a mix of all of my training backgrounds with an emphasis on fluidity, influenced by my 18 years of dance experience.
Outside of designing these programs, I am busy with several other ventures. I started my company Girlvana Yoga in 2012, which runs programs in high schools and community centers teaching teen girls empowerment and self-worth through yoga and meditation. We also run teen girl yoga retreats, as well as work with dancers, athletes and girls with eating disorders. Girlvana Yoga is committed to creating a generation of women and girls who are awake, heart-centered and fully expressed.
Here are 10 more interesting facts about me:
- I am a total hip hop lover, anything from Wu-Tang to The Roots. I see a lot of shows and I am always blasting music in my car.
- I drink a green smoothie everyday loaded with kale and superfoods. I’m really good at making them taste amazing!
- The first yoga class I ever taught was to my mom in our backyard.
- I go to the mountains once a week to hike. Connecting to nature is essential for healthy head and heart space.
- I created Gratitude Emails with a circle of friends a few years ago. We write five things we are grateful for and send it to each other. It is a great way to stay in touch and inspire one another.
- Girlvana comes from the root word nirvana which is a Sanskrit word that means “free from suffering.” I wanted to give teen girls the tools to be free from their suffering.
- I moved to LA when I was 19 to pursue a career as a professional dancer.
- My favorite movie is the 80's classic Flashdance. The lead character's name is also Alex.
- My favorite show on TV is New Girl.
- After all these years of yoga I still have really tight hips.
What’s your yoga story? Tell us about it on Facebook