The Open Championship - 10 Fun Facts
For the first time in gaming history, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 will feature all four Majors – The Masters, U.S Open, The Open Championship and PGA Championship. Go for golf’s Grand Slam and try to rewrite history as you try to take down some of the game’s greatest legends!
GET TO KNOW: THE BRITISH OPEN
- Officially known as "The Open Championship" or simply, "The Open."
- The oldest of the four majors in professional golf. The first Open was won by Willie Park Sr. in 1860 at the Prestwick Golf Club in Scotland.
- The event takes place on one of nine links courses in Scotland or England.
- The Golf Champion Trophy (Claret Jug - seen above) replaced the Challenge Belt in 1873,
- However, Tom Morris Junior's name was already engraved as the 1872 winner when the Jug was presented to Tom Kidd in 1873.
- Bobby Jones claimed The Open title three times as an amateur in 1926, 1927, and 1930.
- In 1979 at Royal Lytham, Seve Ballesteros (below) drove his ball into a car park, went on to birdie the hole and then won the event!
- Old Tom Morris is still the oldest winner of the oldest major championship, when he won the 1867 Open at 46 years and 99 days old.
- Jack Nicklaus had a record 59 rounds under par at The Open.
- Three-time champion (1959, 1968, 1974) Gary Player (below) played in a record 47 Opens.
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 is now available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Order your copy today!