NHL 14 - Goal Scoring Balance Improvements
In NHL 14, goalie improvements will make keeping the puck out of the net more realistic. This week, the dev team at NHL 14 examines goal-scoring balance. It’s all about goal-scoring variety and improved A.I. player positioning in the offensive zone to make the most of scoring chances in NHL 14.
Take a look at how goal scoring balance is improved in NHL 14:
Shots from the Point
- Shots can now be flush against the ice (in previous years, there was always at least some height to the shot)
- Teammates Avoid - AI players will recognize shooting scenarios (they will move earlier to positions for deflections/rebounds and do a better job avoiding shots on way to the net).
- Shots that are flush to the ice can now be deflected up off the ice and over the goalie.
- Players recognize their own position in front of the net and will take that angle into account when trying for a deflection. (For example: They may try to pop it up more when closer to the net)
Players will try and deflect the puck to a location on the net that gives them a higher chance to score rather than just a random angle:
- A shot to the top half of the net will be deflected downwards
- When cheating to one side, players will try to deflect the puck to the opposite side of the goalie.
- Players will try to gather the puck after a deflection in front of the net if they are in a bad spot to attempt a shot.
- Goalies are less likely to get over and cover a one-timer if a player sells the shot before making a pass.
- If a goalie has to move, or if a shooter is far outside of their original vision path, the less effective a goalie will be at reading the shot trajectory or velocity of a one-timer.
Puck Possession Intelligence:
- In setup situations, offensive players will have more urgency going after rebounds and won’t consider the puck turned over as quickly (especially when using an aggressive offensive strategy).
Shots from the slot
- When you’re taking shots from the slot, the goalie will be unable to cover the entire net.
- Goalies are now much more aware of the player’s body, the puck’s position and the handedness of the attacking player. They can now favor a player’s forehand, understanding what a player is capable of based on their current momentum.
- If a goalie is reading deke from an attacking player he will sit deeper in net and it will be easier to beat him with a shot. However, he is also less likely to bite as much on a first move.
- A quick shot can catch a goalie off-guard,especially if they are thinking pass or deke).
Learn more about all the other improvements and inclusions being made to NHL 14.